Dr. Keyvan Farahani is the CBIIT program director for imaging informatics and the Federal lead on the Imaging Data Commons. Dr. Farahani joined CBIIT in 2020 after serving in the NCI Cancer Imaging Program since 2001 as the program director for Image-Guided Interventions (IGI), where he developed several IGI research initiatives for small business, early-phase clinical trials, and image-guided drug delivery in oncology. Since 2013, Dr. Farahani has collaborated with extramural scientists and scientific societies in leading a series of algorithmic challenges in cancer imaging and digital pathology. These activities have led to his current research interests in applications of data science and artificial intelligence to biomedical imaging.
Dr. Farahani has co-authored over 60 peer-reviewed articles, 10 book chapters, and served as a guest editor to several scientific journals. Dr. Farahani is an active member of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM) and the Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine (SIIM). A fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE), Dr. Farahani received his Bachelor of Science degree in physics from Sonoma State University in California, and his doctorate in biomedical physics from the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).
- Imaging Data Commons
- Medical Imaging Challenge Cloud Infrastructure (MedICCI)
- Farahani, K., Tata, D., Nordstrom, R.J. QIN Benchmarks for Clinical Translation of Quantitative Imaging Tools. Tomography, 2019; 5(1): 1-6 (Cover Article).
- Vu, Q.D., Graham, S., To, M.N.N., Shaban, M., Qaiser, T., Koohbanani, N.A., Khurram, A., Kurc, T., Zhao, T., Gupta, R., Kwak, J.T., Rajpoot, N., Saltz, J., Farahani, K. Methods for Segmentation and Classification of Digital Microscopy Tissue Images. Frontiers special issue: Enabling Computational Pathology 2019; Front Bioeng Biotechnol, 7:53, doi: 10.3389/fbioe.2019.00053.
- Bakas, S., Akbari, H., Sotiras, A., Biello, M., Rozycki, M., Kirby, J.S., Freymann, J.B., Farahani, K., Davatzikos, C. Advancing the Cancer Genome Atlas glioma MRI collections with expert segmentation labels and radiomic features. Nature Sci Data 2017; Sep 5; 4:170117; doi: 10.1038/sdata.2017.117.
- Airan, R.D., Foss, C.A., Ellens, N.P.K., Wang, Y., Mease, R.C., Farahani, K., Pomper, M.G. MR-guided delivery of hydrophilic molecular imaging agents across the blood-brain-barrier through focused ultrasound. Mol Imaging Biol 2017, (1):24-30. doi: 10.1007/s11307-016-0985-2.
- Menze, B.H., Jakab, A., Bauer, S., Kalpathy-Cramer, J., Farahani, K., et. al. The multimodal brain tumor image segmentation benchmark (BRATS). IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 2014, doi: 10.1109/TMI.2014.2377694.
- Tandon, P., Farahani, K. NCI Image-Guided Drug Delivery Summit. Cancer Res 2011;71:314-317.