Emily Boja, Ph.D.
Scientific Policy and Program Branch B Chief, Supervisory Health Scientist Administrator
I provide programmatic leadership and support for data sharing (including the Childhood Cancer Data Initiative) and strategic program planning and coordination with NCI divisions, offices, and centers (DOCs). In addition, I lead the NCI implementation of the 2023 NIH Final Policy for Data Management and Sharing with the Director of the Office of Data Sharing, Dr. Jaime Guidry Auvil, and I am a member of the Subgroup of Data Management and Sharing Plans of the NIH Data Science Policy Council. I also serve as the NCI and Gabriella Miller Kids First (GMKF) Data Access Committee Chair to provide oversight of controlled-access data. With over 22 years of experience working at HHS (especially at NIH), I possess a strong track record of scientific expertise in genomics, proteomics, precision medicine, structural and systems biology, as well as program management (including with the Clinical Proteomic Tumor Analysis Consortium, GMKF, and precisionFDA at FDA).
Childhood Cancer Data Initiative (CCDI)Develops means to collect and share childhood cancer data to learn from every child with cancer.
Gabriella Miller Kids First Data Access CommitteeGrants researchers access to controlled childhood cancer and structural birth defects data.
NCI Data Access CommitteeReviews requests to access data in the database of Genotypes and Phenotypes.
Right Data for Right Patient—A precisionFDA NCI-CPTAC Multi-omics Mislabeling Challenge. Nature Medicine, 2018.
In the News
In the NewsIdentify Opportunities to Generate Molecular Characterization Research Data for NCI’s Childhood Cancer Data InitiativeDo you have knowledge, interest, and experience conducting childhood cancer research? NCI’s Childhood Cancer Data Initiative seeks your input to identify opportunities to generate additional research molecular characterization data to accelerate scientific discovery and improve patient care through enhanced data sharing.Do you know how the 2023 NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy will impact your work? If you are seeking NCI funding, this blog is for you. We cover the key policy distinctions, implementation changes, and resources to help you navigate the process.Discover how NIH is working to make generalist repositories (GRs) part of the data sharing ecosystem. The goal is to minimize data sharing barriers while still taking advantage of GR convenience and usability.
- Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical College of Virginia
- B.S., Biochemistry (with honors), University of Alberta (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada)
- Senior Scientist, Office of Health Informatics, Office of the Chief Scientist, Food & Drug Administration
- Program Director, Office of Cancer Clinical Proteomics Research, NCI
- Staff Scientist, Laboratory of Biophysical Chemistry and Laboratory of Cardiac Energetics, NIH National Heart Lung & Blood Institute
- 2020 FDA Office of the Commissioner’s Honors Award
- 2019 In Recognition of 20 years of Government Service Award
- 2017 NCI Award of Merit, for International Partnerships for the Beau Biden Cancer MoonshotSM Initiative
- My Team