Intramural Investigators Submitting Genomic Data
The following steps are general requirements; please work with your Program Officer, who is responsible to ensure the accuracy of the institutional certification and your designated GPA. For general questions, please contact the NCI Office of Data Sharing (NCIOfficeofDataSharing@mail.nih.gov).
Submission Request Workflow
1. Prepare and Submit a Data Sharing Plan
Intramural Investigators: Submit your data sharing plan with your project proposal.
2. Submit Institutional Certification with Appropriate Signatures to Program Officer or Genomic Program Administrator (GPA)
Note: Interpretation must be based on the Institutional Review Board's interpretation of this document:
- Human subjects research-submit research protocol to relevant Institutional GPA
- De-identified human specimens research – submit a request for Office of Human Subjects Research Protections (OHSRP) determination
If disease-specific data uses or data-use modifiers are required, please contact the NCI Office of Data Sharing (NCIOfficeofDataSharing@mail.nih.gov) for clarification.
3. Generate Data
Once data for the full genomic data set has been generated and cleaned, the investigators submits the Basic Study Information form describing the data set to:
- Program Officer
- The NCI Office of Data Sharing (NCIOfficeofDataSharing@mail.nih.gov)
4. QA/QC Data Before Submission
Submitting investigator performs appropriate QA/QC checks on the data and metadata, then Principal Investigator Assistant/Submitter uploads appropriate files to dbGaP to obtain a phs accession (obtaining a phs accession number can take up to 4-8 weeks).
5. Complete Full Data and Metadata Submission
- If data going to GDC, then Principal Investigator/Grantee will need to contact the Genomic Data Commons Helpdesk for appropriate submission instructions.
- If data going to NCBI and/or the Cancer Data Service (CDS), then PI/Grantee will follow dbGaP or CDS instructions.
NIH Repositories Data Set Release Expectations
dbGaP/NCI-approved repositories aim to release the data 6 months from the date of submission of a full, cleaned and quality-checked data set or at the time of first publication (whichever comes first).
For additional questions about submitting data to NCI and NIH Repositories, please contact the Office of Data Sharing (NCIOfficeofDataSharing@mail.nih.gov).
NIH/NCI Genomic Data Repositories Help Resources
If you encounter difficulty submitting data to a particular repository, please contact these help resources directly.
|Database of Genotypes and Phenotypes (dbGaP)||dbGaP Contact Form|
|Genomic Data Commons (GDC)||GDC Help Desk|
|Sequence Read Archive (SRA)||SRA Help Desk|
|Other NCBI Data Repositories||National Library of Medicine Help Desk|
For additional questions about data sharing, please contact the NCI Office of Data Sharing.