Submit Proposals by February 16 for the “Smart Health and Biomedical Research” Initiative
NCI is one of the 27 NIH institutes and centers participating in an interagency funding opportunity with the National Science Foundation (NSF), called the “Smart Health and Biomedical Research in the Era of Artificial Intelligence and Advanced Data Science” initiative.
This expands upon a previous interagency program on Smart and Connected Health and supports innovative, high-risk/high-reward research with the promise of disruptive transformations in biomedical research.
The initiative aims to address technological and data science challenges that require fundamental research and development of new tools, workflows, and methods across many dimensions. Such dimensions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- information infrastructure—to create fundamental research in data management
- transformative data science—to develop novel computational approaches
- novel multimodal sensor system hardware—to develop predictive and personalized models of health
- effective usability—to include ethical, behavioral, and social considerations
- automating health—to enable interoperable, temporally synchronized devices and systems
- medical image interpretation—to inform and improve the use and development of presentation modalities
- unpacking health disparities—to develop holistic, data-driven, or mathematical models to address the structural and/or social determinants of health
The first proposal deadline is February 16, 2021, at 5:00 p.m. (submitter’s local time).