Dr. Joe Flores-Toro is an American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Science and Technology Policy Fellow working with the NCI Office of Data Sharing within CBIIT. In his role, Dr. Flores-Toro supports data access and sharing efforts such as the Childhood Cancer Data Initiative.
Prior to his doctoral studies, Dr. Flores-Toro was a high school science teacher with a passion for science communication. Dr. Flores-Toro earned his doctoral degree in Pharmacology and Therapeutics at the University of Florida. His research focused on the development of therapeutic approaches using existing immunological tools combined with small molecule antagonists to treat glioblastoma.
- Childhood Cancer Data Initiative (CCDI)
- Gabriella Miller Kids First Data Access Committee
- NCI Data Access Committee
- Flores-Toro, Joseph, et al. Critical Roles of Calpastatin in Ischemia/Reperfusion Injury in Aged Livers. Cells 10.8 (2021): 1863.
- Takacs, Gregory P., Joseph A. Flores-Toro, and Jeffrey K. Harrison. Modulation of the chemokine/chemokine receptor axis as a novel approach for glioma therapy. Pharmacology & therapeutics (2020): 107790.
- Rahman, Maryam, Sawyer, W.G., Lindhorst, S., Deleyrolle, L., Harrison, J.K., Karachi, A., Dastmalchi, F., Flores-Toro, Joseph., Mitchell, D.A., Lim, M. and Gilbert, M.R., 2020. Adult immuno-oncology: using past failures to inform the future. Neuro-oncology, 22(9), pp.1249-1261.
- Flores-Toro, Joseph A., et al. CCR2 inhibition reduces tumor myeloid cells and unmasks a checkpoint inhibitor effect to slow progression of resistant murine gliomas. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 117.2 (2020): 1129-1138.
- Flores-Toro, Joseph A., Science in the age of social media. The Gainesville Sun. 24 July 2019.
- Chun, Sung Kook, et al. Loss of sirtuin 1 and mitofusin 2 contributes to enhanced ischemia/reperfusion injury in aged livers. Aging Cell 17.4 (2018): e12761.
- Flores-Toro, Joseph A., et al. Autophagy in the liver: cell’s cannibalism and beyond. Archives of pharmacal research 39.8 (2016): 1050-1061.
- Biel, T. G., S. Lee, J. A. Flores-Toro, J. W. Dean, K. L. Go, M. H. Lee, B. K. Law et al. Sirtuin 1 suppresses mitochondrial dysfunction of ischemic mouse livers in a mitofusin 2-dependent manner. Cell Death & Differentiation 23, no. 2 (2016): 279-290.
- Kim, Jae-Sung, Jin-Hee Wang, Thomas G. Biel, Do-Sung Kim, Joseph A. Flores-Toro, Richa Vijayvargiya, Ivan Zendejas, and Kevin E. Behrns. Carbamazepine suppresses calpain-mediated autophagy impairment after ischemia/reperfusion in mouse livers. Toxicology and applied pharmacology 273, no. 3 (2013): 600-610.