Ms. Denise Warzel is a science program analyst at CBIIT. She joined NCI in 2000 to lead the design and development of the Cancer Data Standards Registry and Repository (caDSR) infrastructure, where machine-readable definitions of Common Data Elements and case report forms are created, maintained, and distributed. She specializes in systems that leverage machine-readable data semantics to ensure that data descriptions can be easily understood at all levels and are useful throughout the project’s lifecycle. Prior to joining NCI, Ms. Warzel worked for the International Business Machines (IBM) Corporation, where she was involved in deep learning projects to discover the hidden value behind point-of-sale “shopping basket” data and IBM’s Deep Blue project. That work led her to NCI, where she’s leveraging her expertise to develop a metadata infrastructure that helps advance cancer research. She serves as convenor for work on the ISO JTC1 SC32 WG2–Information Technology Metadata Standards for Data Management and Interchange, Metadata Standards project. Ms. Warzel has a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on management and information systems from the University of Georgia and a master of science in computer science from the University of Oxford.
- Cancer Data Standards Registry and Repository (caDSR)
- Basu A., Warzel D., Eftekhari A., Kirby J.S., Freymann J., Knable J., Sharma A., Jacobs P. Call for Data Standardization: Lessons Learned and Recommendations in an Imaging Study. JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2019 Nov;3:1-11. doi: 10.1200/CCI.19.00056.
- O’Connor, M. J., Warzel, D.B., Martínez-Romero M., Hardi, J., Willrett, D., Egyedi, A. L., Eftekhari, A., Graybeal, M., John Mark A. Unleashing the value of Common Data Elements through the CEDAR Workbench, in publication, AMIA 2019.
- Warzel D., Carlin L., Reeves D., Bondy J., REDX, Generating REDCap Data Dictionaries from NCI Standards, Poster, REDCap Annual Meeting, September 2014.
- Warzel, D., Freimuth, R.R., Oniki T.A., Reeves, D.M., Chute, C.G., Huff, S.M. Approaches to Improving Clinical and Translational Biomedical Research Data Through Data Standards: Registration of Clinical Element Models Using ISO/IEC 11179. AIMA CRI Symposium, May 2013.
- Crowley R., Wright L., Warzel D., Sioutos N., Mohanty S., Komatsoulis G., Chilukuri, R., Tobias, J. The CAP cancer protocols - a case study of caCORE based data standards implementation to integrate with the Cancer Biomedical Informatics Grid. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making (June 20, 2006) 6:25.
- Komatsoulis, G.A., Warzel, D.B., Hartel, F.W., Shanbhag, K, Chilukuri, R, Fragoso, G., de Coronado, S., Reeves, D.M., Hadfield, J.B., Ludet, C., and Covitz, P.A. (2007). caCORE version 3: Implementation of an model driven, service-oriented architecture for semantic interoperability. Journal of Biomed Informatics. 2008 February; 41(1): 106--123. Published online 2007 April 2. doi: 10.1016/j.jbi.2007.03.009.
- Warzel D., Edelstein C., Lin C., Winget M., Thornquist M. Proteomics Knowledge Databases: Facilitating Collaboration and Interaction between Academia, Industry, and Federal Agencies, in Informatics in Proteomics, Srivastava, S., Zhang, Z., Ravichandran, V., Hanash, S., Gangal, R., Medjahed, D., Lockett, S., Crichton, D., Fenyo, D., Kowalski, J., Eng, J., Beer, D., Hitt, B., Taylor & Francis/CRC Press. 2005.
- Winget, M.D., Baron, J.A., Spitz, M.R., Bremmer, D.E., Warzel, D., Kincaid, H., Thornquist, M., Feng, Z. Development of common data elements: The experience of and recommendations from the early detection research network. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 2003, 70:41-48.
- Warzel, D.B., Andonyadis, C., McCurry, B., Chilukuri, R., Ishmukhamedov, S., Covitz, P. Common data element (CDE) management and deployment in clinical trials. AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings. 2003;2003:1048.