Dr. Chunhua Yan is a biomedical informatics project manager at CBIIT, where he collaborates with NCI intramural investigators and extramural scientists to study cancer genomes with next generation sequencing (NGS) technologies. Dr. Yan takes part in The Applied Proteogenomics OrganizationaL Learning and Outcomes (APOLLO) network identifying unique targets and pathways for cancer detection and intervention from the proteogenomic data of lung, breast, and ovarian cancers. He participated in The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA) project as a member of the breast cancer working group. Prior to joining NCI in 2008, Dr. Yan was a senior scientist at Celera Genomics, providing bioinformatics support for biomarker discovery, drug development, and the assembly of the human genome. He has published more than 30 papers in peer-reviewed journals, covering bioinformatics software development and NGS data analysis. He is also the inventor of 70 patents on the discovery of novel enzymes and receptors. Dr. Yan obtained his bachelor’s degree in pharmacy from Shanghai Medical School and his doctorate in structural biology from the University of Maryland at the Baltimore School of Pharmacy.
- Application Support
- The Cancer Genome Atlas (TCGA)
- Therapeutically Applicable Research to Generate Effective Treatments (TARGET)
- Heinrich B, Gertz EM, Schaffer AA, Craig A, Ruf B, Subramanyam V, McVey JC, Diggs LP, Heinrich S, Rosato U et al: The tumour microenvironment shapes innate lymphoid cells in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Gut 2021.
- Zeng Z, Fu J, Cibulskis C, Jhaveri A, Gumbs C, Das B, Sanchez-Espiridion B, Janssens S, Taing L, Wang J et al: Cross-Site Concordance Evaluation of Tumor DNA and RNA Sequencing Platforms for the CIMAC-CIDC Network. Clin Cancer Res 2020.
- Choobdar S, Ahsen ME, Crawford J, Tomasoni M, Fang T, Lamparter D, Lin J, Hescott B, Hu X, Mercer J et al: Assessment of network module identification across complex diseases. Nat Methods 2019, 16(9):843-852.
- Gadd S, Huff V, Walz AL, Ooms A, Armstrong AE, Gerhard DS, Smith MA, Auvil JMG, Meerzaman D, Chen QR et al: A Children's Oncology Group and TARGET initiative exploring the genetic landscape of Wilms tumor. Nat Genet 2017, 49(10):1487-1494.
- Veschi V, Liu Z, Voss TC, Ozbun L, Gryder B, Yan C, Hu Y, Ma A, Jin J, Mazur SJ et al: Epigenetic siRNA and Chemical Screens Identify SETD8 Inhibition as a Therapeutic Strategy for p53 Activation in High-Risk Neuroblastoma. Cancer Cell 2017, 31(1):50-63.
- Hill SM, Heiser LM, Cokelaer T, Unger M, Nesser NK, Carlin DE, Zhang Y, Sokolov A, Paull EO, Wong CK et al: Inferring causal molecular networks: empirical assessment through a community-based effort. Nat Methods 2016, 13(4):310-318.
- Walz AL, Ooms A, Gadd S, Gerhard DS, Smith MA, Guidry Auvil JM, Meerzaman D, Chen QR, Hsu CH, Yan C et al: Recurrent DGCR8, DROSHA, and SIX homeodomain mutations in favorable histology Wilms tumors. Cancer Cell 2015, 27(2):286-297.
- Hu Y, Yan C, Hsu CH, Chen QR, Niu K, Komatsoulis GA, Meerzaman D: OmicCircos: A Simple-to-Use R Package for the Circular Visualization of Multidimensional Omics Data. Cancer Inform 2014, 13:13-20.
- Cancer Genome Atlas N: Comprehensive molecular portraits of human breast tumours. Nature 2012, 490(7418):61-70.
- Venter JC, Adams MD, Myers EW, Li PW, Mural RJ, Sutton GG, Smith HO, Yandell M, Evans CA, Holt RA et al: The sequence of the human genome. Science 2001, 291(5507):1304-1351.